Wednesday, October 20, 2010

BAMM.tv in Chicago: Erin McKeown




Somehow, someway, I am writing this post from the Presidential Suite at the Belden-Stratford Hotel in Chicago (great view, crappy continental breakfast...is there any other kind?). The weather has been picturesque and post-card autumnal. The city is no less than cinematic. It reminds me of when folks come to visit us in San Francisco this time of year. The weather is perfect and the city has its best foot forward. Our visitors remind us how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful city, which is true, but we know--oh, how we know--that SF soup fog is rolling in approximately three minutes after dropping our guests off at SFO. In other words, Chicago is about to get cold, and it's important to remember this simple fact when romanticizing to such extremes.

Allow me to get to the topic at hand--why is BAMM.tv in Chicago? We are here working with our friends at web.illish.us on a live stream concert by Erin McKeown. As some of you know, we've done our share of streams from our studios in San Francisco, but tonight we are streaming a live concert from the beautiful Lincoln Hall. If all goes well, you might be seeing a bit more of BAMM.tv on the road. We are also testing out a pay-per-view concert model.



Full disclosure--I hadn't heard of Erin McKeown until this project came up. It didn't take long to realize she's an immensely talented songwriter that challenges the very notion of categorizing. More impressive to me, she's been at this music thing for over ten years. Perhaps my appreciation for persistence and longevity serves as proof of my own aging, but it takes balls to commit to a music career for that long. It really does. Tonight marks the ten year anniversary of McKeown's first studio album Distillation (Signature Sound), and to celebrate she will play Distillation in full. The second set of the night will feature requests from the online audience. I know--a lot of variables in play tonight, but it should be interesting to see how the whole online audience impacts the show in the venue. Definitely worth checking out here.

Miscellaneous:
--Jeff, Jamie, and I got up close and personal with a tiger. Although lame to see in a zoo, still pretty cool to see.



--Went to the Alder Planetarium to see a 3D show. I know space is cool. I know. I just wish I cared.



--Unos deep dish pizza for lunch. Birthplace of deep dish pizza. The crust is where the magic happens.
--Lincoln Park is a really cool area of Chicago. Close to Wrigley, lots of cool bars and restaurants.
--Went to the Apple Store to grab a hard drive. Really cool store to go to when you get to snicker at the people waiting in line for their iPhone-related issues. I want to feel bad for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment